Thursday, October 27, 2011

CROCHET PATTERN - Super Slouch Hat


I know there are only a million other slouch hat patterns out there, but I haven't found one that works well for me, so I whipped up my own.  It's quick & easy... and is great for BHDs (Bad Hair Days).  Whip up one today!

I have included instructions for both Child & Adult sizes...




SUPPLIES:  M (9.0 mm) hook, K (6.5 mm) hook, J (6.0 mm) hook and/or I (5.5 mm) hook.  You may also want to use a stitch marker.

YARN:  I prefer Vanna's Choice for this project, but your favorite sturdy Worsted Weight yarn will be fine.

STITCH GUIDE:  HDC = Half Double Crochet, SC = Single Crochet, BPSC = Back Post Single Crochet, ST = Stitch

GAUGE:  With K hook, 5 HDC & 5 rounds = 2"  [If yours is a little bigger, that's fine.]

NOTES:  This hat is worked in a continuous spiral.  Do not join at the end of each round.  

[Both sizes] Using M hook, Start with Magic Loop.
Round 1:  10 HDC in loop.
Round 2:  2 HDC in each ST around.  [20 HDC]
Round 3:  1 HDC in each ST around.  [20 HDC]
Round 4:  2 HDC in each ST around.  [40 HDC]
Round 5:  1 HDC in each ST around.  [40 HDC]
Round 6:  (1 HDC in next, 2 HDC in next) around.  [60 HDC]
Round 7-8:  1 HDC in each ST around.  [60 HDC]

** Switch to K hook.
Round 9-16:  1 HDC in each ST around. 
[If you would like your ADULT hat to be EXTRA slouchy, add a few more rounds with your K hook here.]

** If you're making an ADULT hat, switch to J hook now.  If you're making a CHILD hat, switch to I hook now.
Round 17:  SC in each ST around.  [60 SC]
Round 18-23:  BPSC (not too tightly) in each ST around.  [Too complicated? Too fancy? Work a snug SC in each ST instead.]
** If you'd like a wider band, add a couple of extra rounds.  If not, fasten off & weave in ends.
Enjoy your super slouch. 

 © 2011 Danyel Pink.  You may sell what you make, but please credit Danyel Pink Designs for the pattern. You may NOT resell the pattern, distribute it in any form, post it elsewhere online, or alter it to claim it as your own. Please provide a link back to my blog instead.  Contact me with any questions or for pattern support.